Sunday, March 2, 2008

Listening

“As He said these things, He would call out, 'He who has ears to hear, let him hear.' And his disciples began questioning Him as to what this parable might be. And He said,' To you it is granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is in parables; in order that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.'" (Luke 8:8-10 NASB)

The disciples asked Jesus for understanding and he gave it to them. Jesus called out, telling the people, you have ears…hear; you have equipment, use it. If he knew they would listen he would not have blatantly called attention to their need to listen. The multitudes weren’t all seeking him, but many sought what he could give them. It was to those who asked, those who followed him, that he said, “To you it is granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God.” (Luke 8:10 NASB)

When I come to the scripture do I ask the author for understanding? Or do I simply take in the facts of what is said: who, what, when, where, why and how? Do I ask the author what he wants to say to me today in the words I am reading? What He points out today will be different in some way from what he told me the last time I read the same passage. How new it is will depend partly on how well I learned from him the last time. Does he have to repeat the same teaching, or have I put that into practice so he can show me the next thing? When I come with my eyes to read, do I let my ears hear? Do I listen or just put in my time? Am I seeking Jesus or just something from him?

“And the seed in the good ground, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.” (Luke 8:15 NASB)
© 2008